Friday, July 3, 2009

time management

recently, i bought this book called "teach yourself time management" and frankly, since my purchase, i haven't made the time to read past page three or to remember what i read in the first two pages! the question that i ask myself every time is, why? why can other people make so much time to do innumerable stuff, watch movies, read books, go out with friends, work, sleep, explore new stuff, be creative, learn something new... the whole nine yards of what I'm trying to do. Well, is that a problem? am i trying too hard to be 'them'? or have i got sloppy? i find it impossible to find the patience to gather up a good playlist for the music player on my computer! i blame this usually on my vast music collection of supposedly unwanted stuff, but then haven't had time to clean that up too! same for my room, closet, bookshelf and bike!


I don't want this to sound like a letter to an agony aunt of some magazine, but then, i can't help if this is inevitably sounding this way. It's been months since I've read a book for a decent amount of time in a day. or listened to one whole song, or wrote about one of the hundreds of topics that come to my mind when, occasionally, my mind does start to warm up a little, on my blog. I had plans of buying a camera, a fancy SLR, i even retired my old film SLR for that purpose, saying it's too much recurring investment for the film, the development and printing charges and what not. When i had the interest, i didn't have the money, the status quo has been maintained, but my interest is fading, so is my money which was never enough anyway. Friends, all have some camera or the other, quite impressive stuff, now they have the equipment and are using the time and interest very well, learning new stuff with the cameras, taking good pictures. Bikes, i still have plans of that, big plans for my bikes, but probably I'll end up selling both my bikes, again to raise money for my studies. I had plans of a new bore kit for the old RX and stockpiling spare parts for my bikes before i leave so that i can get started once i come back, but then, thinking sensible, as attached i am to my bike, i think it's sensible not to keep them, cause i don't know where I'm gonna end up! and thinking lightly, as long as i have these, my folks are not gonna let me buy a new one! so, that one's gone too.


Hmmmmm..... now i think time is not my only problem, it's money too, money has always been though, heh! show me a person for whom it is not! if it's not trouble in one way (read scarcity) then it's a problem in another (read abundance). but mostly it's a problem which lies upstairs where all the cooking takes place. I find things interesting, i get started on it, but for most, i don't stick to it. I either give up half way cause of my laziness or my inability to balance my work, studies, personal life, hobbies and social life. so i end up compromising on something way too far than i ideally should and in the long run, that's gonna cause me problems, the problem may be that i might have to end up giving up on a hobby, but then that's also a problem cause I'm sure that it will not end with just one hobby, and something is gonna begin creeping into something else when it probably shouldn't, or rather, i probably shouldn't have let it creep into.


So, Time management? well, i don't know. I don't wanna put the blame to age, no matter how old i am, if I'm old enough as long as i am standing on my own feet and thinking with my own mind. i guess the blame's on me. I just wrote this out as i felt it would help me in some way if i speak things out to the world about what's on my head. It a pretty crowded place up there! i can't keep things in it forever! Something's got to give, and if i empty the part of my mind which tells me why a Yamaha RX which is ported at the roof of the ports is better than a RX which is ported at the bottom of the ports, then chances are that, most of you will not understand, and those who do understand, will probably won't have nothing more to say that "oh, ok". At least with this, i get some suggestions and possibly a solution to my problems, a part of the solution to my problems or a solution to a part of my problems.


Anyway, That's it for now, i have to manage my time to sleep! till next time! cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Dr.Gecko,

    I believe that chapter 1 of time management deals with identifying objectives.. Congratulations on that.

    Also, a little something I learnt during my few days in this world

    People usually focus on the effect of a problem, and there the battle is lost. Which is what you seem to be doing right now. I understand the agony felt in dreams which were once dreamt and planned out for, seem a bit too distant today coz you didn't plan for it, I understand coz I've been there and literally didn't do that(have my dream).

    But, I think its the cause which is to be searched. and there, my friend time management is only a tool. but the real clincher is will. I know your will, its stronger than a lot of people I know, but as is the case with me too, I dont have pipes to channel that will through..

    What say???

    BTW, nice post.. end of paragraph 2, almost pictured you crying... lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well Gecko, it does take some time (yeah, quite unfortunately, it takes TIME and nothing else!)

    So long, even I remember how much of time I had to wait to get my SLR and then get that frigging 70-300! And if you have to tell somebody why it is taking you so long when you are passionate about all that, tell them that it is time!

    I'd never bother on who tells me 'manage your time' or how I should be managing time. That again depends on your time. This world has become so bloody networked and stuff like that, that even for a tea you plan to have outside, you expect a friend to accompany you. That friend is busy you end up screwing up the very idea of going to your favorite place to have your tea. Time management--only if you act independently or are involved in things all by yourself!

    Else, think of Timed Living? I am no philosopher but what I can tell you is that instead of a function f(tasks) = time, think of f(time) = tasks

    Holy crap! I am sleepin. zzzz...

    ReplyDelete